If there is one thing every teen is absolutely TIRED of hearing from their parents? “I can’t afford that.” “I don’t have the money for that.” “I am not the Bank of Mom/Dad.” Teens would rather go out with their friends than stay home. They want to buy clothes, go to the movies, go skating or go out to lunch/dinner with their friends. What are teens in one word? EXPENSIVE! Teens are resourceful. They’re young and can pretty much do anything they want. So, here is my list of 12 ways for Teenagers to Earn Money. This list will be online and out in the real world.
- Fast Food Restaurant. My first job when I was 14 was at Burger King. I absolutely hated it, but it gave me spending money. I also worked at Roy Rogers a couple years later.
- Babysitting. This is an easy way to make a few bucks. Usually just put the kids to bed if they’re young enough and the teens can watch TV or text all night. Free snacks and drinks to boot? The cushy job right there!
- Starting a blog. Yes, even teens can make money starting a blog. If they find their niche and build up a following? Sponsors will probably be knocking on their doors to get them to do posts and pay them for it.
- Online surveys. This takes a little more time because as we all know, surveys are great, but they are not the best way to make a quick $20 unless you’re lucky.
- Dog Walking. There are always people who can’t come home during the day to walk their dogs. Or some who love their animals, but just cannot take them for walks.
- Crafts. There are so many things that teens can make these days. Lotions, lip balms, and sugar scrubs to name a few.
- Errands for the homebound. Unfortunately, not everyone has family around them. And friends aren’t always available. As a result, people need help with their errands. Have your teen put a notice out that they are able to grocery shop, pick up or drop off packages to the post office or pick up prescriptions. (This one, I recommend for older teens. Not necessarily those just starting in their teens or driving.)
- Teach the elderly how to use a computer and social media. Because this comes naturally to teens. Why not make money on it?
- Ask parents to hire them. Yes, this is always a good backup plan for teenagers to earn money. Parent’s tend to be extremely busy and would love the help. Therefore, I know I’ll pay my teen for doing extra work around the house :).
- A mother’s helper. This is different than babysitting. The mom is still there and the teen can do different jobs from babysitting to helping with things around the house.
- Create a YouTube Channel. Seems like this is maybe a great way for teens to act like goofballs, or to create a how to channel or even a daily video of their lives. This is more invasive, but, they can also share as much or as little as they’d like. I know younger teens are doing this, but I recommend this more for older teens.
- Write. There are plenty of companies or magazines looking for short stories. And as a result, they are willing to pay for them. If your teen shows interest in writing? Let them get paid for it!
In conclusion, these are just 12 ways for teenagers to earn money. This isn’t the same as our generation. Because of the opportunities now, there are many options available for earning money these days. There are many open doors for them.
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are included in my post.