You’ve bought your travel trailer, fifth wheel or all in one RV. You’re ready to hit the open road and leave it all behind. But there’s one thing stopping you. You have A LOT to leave behind! So what do you do? Here are your options to downsize for your RV lifestyle:
- Abandon your house – This one is tricky. You have family memories here, valuables, and entertainment. Let’s see what else you can do.
- Torch your house – You can’t collect insurance and could go to jail. So think this one through! You can’t hit the open road if you’re in jail now can you?
- TRASH EVERYTHING to get on the road faster – Eh. This one is not my favorite. Try to make some money on your items! You’re going to need it for gas to keep traveling! But, save this option for when you can’t get rid of what won’t sell. I did this when moving into a smaller place. It feels good! It’s very therapeutic when you get rid of things you forgot you even had.
- Digitize what you can – So, this one is more for pictures, music, books and videos. But, they do take up a lot of space! Unless you’re willing to get a climate controlled storage unit somewhere to store everything. But, what about some entertainment when you’re on the road?
Ok, so, let’s go with option 4. Yes, I know the other three are GREAT ideas, but let’s stick with the plan and help you downsize for your RV lifestyle.
- Movies – What I do here is buy movies that have digital codes. My teen gets the DVD/Blu-Ray and I get the code. I’m able to watch through Vudu, which is also linked with my Sony account, through airplay. And I can also watch movies on my Apple TV. If you sign up for Netflix, you can also watch through your Apple TV. Or if you have an Amazon Firestick, Chromecast or Roku, you’re set as well. Takes you from about 15 – 20 feet of space to less than six inches.
- Books – Now, I absolutely LOVE reading. I’ve said it before. I’d prefer reading over watching TV any day. I’ve read The Martian, Harry Potter, Divergent Series, and Twilight Saga. (Yeah, don’t hate on me for Twilight. I’m a vampire freak, lol.) I just started reading The Atlantis Gene trilogy. Ummm. It’s good. You should read it. Oh, the downsizing part. Kindle E-reader is the best thing evah! I love being able to store so many books in one location. So, this alone? Will give you HUNDREDS of feet in space back.
- Music – I am an Apple gal. I love my iTunes library. Having my music right there on my phone is great. When you go for a walk, it’s there, but without those bulky headphones we had back in the day. (Nope. Not going to tell you how far back in the day…) The Echo Dot is a nice little tool too. I love mine! I get the news, listen to music, add to my shopping and to-do lists.
- Pictures – I love those little jump drives. You can have a huge amount of storage in such a small device! And just pop it into the USB of your computer and stroll down memory lane. Now, yes, I know you can also store them on your computer. But, they take up a lot of space too. And you ALL know that you want to keep that space open on your computer to play Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, or SIMS 20. (Or whatever number they’re on now 🙂 ). If you can’t do it yourself, you can hire someone to digitize your photo’s for you. This alone will help to downsize for your RV lifestyle
Do you do any of these already? I know reading a regular book is SO much better than reading on a kindle. You can’t smell the book with a kindle…. Ohhhh. Hey Amazon! There’s your next idea. Make a scratch and sniff kindle…
If you have already taken the steps to downsize for your RV lifestyle, what was the easiest thing to do? What was the hardest?
For other RV related tips, you should follow me on my RV Livin Pinterest board :).
Disclaimer: I am an affiliate with Amazon. If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase the item, I will get a small commission. To which the government will laugh at me and take away anyway. But, just seeing that I earned a commission makes me smile because you guys like me, you really like me! Ok, fine, you like my tips and suggestions :). Or you feel bad for me. Either way, it makes me smile :).