At times I feel I hold the market on being single. I’ve been divorced since 2005 and haven’t been in a relationship longer than a year. There was the one year I spent with an ex on New Years Eve, but that was because plans were already made. But, every other year since my divorce I’ve been flying solo. What do I do on those nights when it’s typically couples? Here are five things I’ve done to enjoy ringing in the new year:
- Go to a friends party. This one is the best one . If you have a group of friends, likelihood of one of them having a party is fairly high. Go and enjoy yourself. As they are sure to have other friends outside your circle, it’s good to meet new people. And if your friends like them? Good chance you will to :).
- Go to a bar. This is the good ole standby. If you’re on your own, and the bartender notices this, chances are that if they know another customer at the bar, they will introduce you and you can join in on that groups conversation. Viola! No longer alone :). And maybe you just met some new friends.
- Netflix and drink. Why not? It’s your night. Do what you want. There is nothing wrong with spending a night home alone, in your pajamas and watching a movie. Have a bottle or two of wine and you’re your own party!
- Go to the movies. I love going to the movies by myself. You get to enjoy the movie in (usually) comfortable chairs, and stuff your face with popcorn, nachos and candy. Guzzle down a soda and you’re a happy little camper. By the time you get out of that late movie, the new year is here and you didn’t have to watch people making out.
- Go to sleep early. In the end, New Years Eve is just another day. The new year will be there when you wake up. You can have a mimosa to wring in the new year with good breakfast.
- Organized Community Event. Your local Fire Department will usually throw a party and they can be fun. Pay per person or per couple. They will have food, drinks and some will also have breakfast after midnight. The band will play music from different eras for all generations to enjoy.
There are many ways of celebrating and/or surviving New Years Eve when you’re single. These are just six ways I’ve celebrated in the last 12 years. It can be hard being single. No way to get around that. And if you’re like me, and have just a small circle of friends that I hold near and dear, you’re most likely not going to be able to spend every year with them. But, never let that stop you from doing what you want to do. It doesn’t hurt being single on New Years Eve. Some years will suck more than others, but, you’ll get through them and celebrate the new year the way you want to.
What other ways have you celebrated New Years Eve if/when you were single?