Last year I got to thinking. I know, I know! Dangerous territory! But, I let it get the best of me and started to think. I asked myself, “Self… If I could do one thing over in my life, what would it be?”
My answer then was ~ I wish I applied myself more in school and started a career I enjoyed earlier.
My answer now is ~ I wish the same as last year, but, also that I felt comfortable enough to uproot my life to live in a completely new environment that was out of my comfort zone. Whether it was a city life or country life.
I asked the question on my Facebook wall and answers I had received were:
- One wished she went to Law School immediately after obtaining her Bachelors Degree.
- Another friend wished she traveled more when she was younger, had no responsibilities and would have been perfectly comfortable doing it on the cheap, such as sleeping on hard, dirty floors.
- Another wished she worked at the beach for the summer when she was a teenager.
- Yet another would never have stopped running.
- My one sister responded that she wished she hired a professional photographer for her wedding (she’s the photo freak in the family 🙂 ) and wished she hadn’t stopped at two children.
- My brother wished he didn’t have a learning disability that slowed him down in life. (Happy to say he is FINALLY going on his first cruise this year! Love that man 🙂 )
- Another friend said she wished she kept her Geography class in the 9th grade instead of Physics. High School Counselors, take note! Learn the students you are advising! She would have known that Geography was her strong suit with the proper guidance.
- Yet another friend said she would never have gotten married before the age of 30. She only did it because she didn’t want to never have been married when she turned 30. Married in 1997 when there was still a strong feeling that you had to be married before you were 30.
- The final persons response? If she had done one thing differently, she wouldn’t have her wonderful children today.
I shared this post again and asked them, in the year since you answered this, has your answer changed?
Most of the answers had remained the same. I know it was only one year later, but, a lot can change in a year!